Helping To Put Things In Context: Something You Should Know About D.C.

Everyone knows Washington, D.C. for being the nation's capital where decisions are made that affect the country itself and impacts the world at large. But between the time that politicians and special interest groups like to use the city as the reason for all that ails America, it has a more intimate side. This is the side that one could think of as the "local" aspect of the city. I think if people understood what really exists within the boundaries of this diamond shaped (minus a complete side) metropolis, their perspectives may be altered considerably. As AWashingtonWoman will continue to focus on some of the wonderful women who make up the fabric of the DMV (a term used for the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and includes: the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia), we will also strive to give you a little of the backstory, as objectively as we can. So it's been a year since this all began and without really trying, this blog has exceeded what our expectations were. So we are thinking that with a little love and a lot of integrity, we can share some real true insight which can be entertaining as well as informative. Who knows?.... Maybe it will even be ..... helpful.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Loving vs Virginia: A Valentine's Story and A Tribute To Black History Month



This story actually occurred when I was a baby. My mother comes from a town not far from Caroline county. Many of my relatives from that area have been and continue to be of mixed blood. I am posting this for a couple of reasons. First, topics that seem to be ancient history aren't really that ancient unless you are suggestion that this "AWashingtonWoman" is ancient also (and I don't think ya really want to do that :). Next, these folks weren't trying to make a political statement. They simply loved each other and wanted to share their lives as man and wife. I am happy to say that love triumphed and thanks to the courage of these simple people Virginia became a state worthy of it's slogan saying "Virginia Is For Lovers". Not long ago, Virginia also could claim the unique distinction of having a city with the most diverse population in the world. I believe it was listed in the "Guinness's Book of World Records". It makes me proud to come from an area that has come such a long way in it's journey to respecting culture. Yes, there is still work to be done. But I believe Virginia will rise to the occasion.

When people visit Washington, D.C. I don't know if they understand the tri-state nature of this area. And us natives are often amused that the level of diversity is probably a surprise to many of our tourist. I even joke to my friends from other states that living here is like being part of the United Nations. I love that my children have been raised in a community that has every flavor of human being you can imagine. I love when I attend church when the priest asks visitors to introduce themselves and tell where they are from. People rattle off every country from the Netherlands, to the Caribbean and in between. I loved going to the monument for the fourth of July and looking out over a vast sea of humanity where people of all sorts of nationalities all sat together, anticipated and were in awe of the fireworks for this nation's birthday - together.

And I love that peole who just want to love each other -legally- came from the area I call home. So as we embark upon Valentine's Day weekend during this month where we acknowledge Black History I would like to embrace the spirit of Mr. and Mrs. Loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment